WhatsApp Web brings to your laptop or desktop computer that same WhatsApp messaging experience we have all come to love and enjoy on our mobile devices. In this post, I’ll show you how to set up WhatsApp Web on your computer as well as the benefits of using it.
Let’s get to it…
WhatsApp Web Requirements
Here is a quick little list of what you’ll need to be able to set up and use WhatsApp Web for PC.
1. An active WhatsApp account on your mobile phone.
2. A web browser that has an active internet connection.
3. How to scan QR codes (very simple).
How does WhatsApp Web Work?
WhatsApp Web is essentially a clone or mirror of your WhatsApp account you are using right now on your mobile device. Meaning it’s the same thing happening on your WhatsApp mobile app that WhatsApp Web helps you mirror to your computer in real-time.
Therefore, WhatsApp Web does not make you have two WhatsApp accounts, neither does it work without the WhatsApp mobile app. In fact, the WhatsApp on your mobile phone has to have an internet connection for its WhatsApp Web version to operate.
Though WhatsApp Web does not have the full feature set of the mobile app, it’s got some benefits to using it, as you would soon see below.
That said, you do not need to download a “WhatsApp Web app” to use WhatsApp Web. It is set up by simply scanning a QR code on your computer’s browser using your WhatsApp mobile app.
How to set up WhatsApp Web on PC
To set up WhatsApp Web on your computer simply follow these 3 easy steps:
1. Go to web.whatsapp.com from a browser on your computer.
2. On your WhatsApp mobile app, tap Menu > WhatsApp Web to start the QR code scanner.
3. Aim your phone at the barcode on your computer’s screen to capture it.
Within a fleeting moment, your WhatsApp mobile app and WhatsApp Web will be synced.
Setting up WhatsApp Web is SO EASY you’ve got to have someone help you misunderstand it 🙂
Now that you have WhatsApp Web set up on your computer, it’s best you know what it can or cannot do.
Things you can do with WhatsApp Web
1. You can search for and start a new chat with any contact you currently have on your phonebook list.
2. You can quote, reply, forward, star or delete a message.
3. You can send and receive media files e.g audio, videos and photos. Also, you can download any of these media files directly to your computer.
4. You can send emojis, GIFs, and stickers.
5. You can share documents, voice notes, and even contacts.
6. You can view status updates.
7. You can view contact info and group chat info.
8. You can participate in group discussions or even create a new group chat.
9. You can update or change your profile information.
10. You can get notified of new messages via desktop notifications or mute it if you want.
11. You can type using your computer’s keyboard.
12. You can add your WhatsApp Web to multiple browsers/PC.
Things you can’t do with WhatsApp Web
1. You can’t view the people who have seen your WhatsApp status update.
2. You can’t post new WhatsApp Status updates as well.
3. You can’t make nor receive WhatsApp Voice/Video calls.
4. You can’t send a WhatsApp Broadcast.
5. You are limited to the number of things (notifications, chat wallpaper and blocked contacts) you can change in settings.
6. You can’t change download settings for media files, therefore all files received are automatically downloaded.
7. You can’t use the same account on two browsers at a time, even though you can have multiple PCs connected to your phone.
Why should you use WhatsApp Web?
So why should anyone want to use WhatsApp Web, what benefits does it bring to the table? Let’s find out:
1. The ability to use your PC’s keyboard: With WhatsApp Web, you can type using the Querty keyboard of your PC. This alone is a deal sealer for anyone who engages in long conversations on WhatsApp. WhatsApp Web works as well for WhatsApp Business, so it would be a great way to respond quickly to clients and customers because you can type faster.
2. Accessing and sharing of your files is made easier: We all use WhatsApp for sharing media files and documents. Now with WhatsApp Web, you no longer need to find a way to copy files from your PC to phone before you can share them through WhatsApp. Just simply open WhatsApp Web on your PC, locate the excel spreadsheet for example, and share it with your boss or co-worker.
3. Use your computer’s resources: You are no longer limited to the camera or microphone of your mobile phone because WhatsApp Web can leverage the peripherals of your PC seamlessly. This would come in handy if you ever needed to have a conference meeting or deliver a lecture on WhatsApp with specialized webcam and microphone.
4. Larger display: Coupled with the ability to type using your computer’s keyboard, you get to use your PC’s wider screen display instead of your mobile phone’s limited screen size. This just makes things a little convenient especially if your business is on WhatsApp.
5. More Efficiency: For people who work mostly with computers, having their WhatsApp accounts right there on their desktop would boost efficiency as they don’t have to always pause to pick up their phones.
WhatsApp Web Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
1. How do I disconnect WhatsApp Web?
To disconnect or log out of WhatsApp Web is easy. You can do that either from your WhatsApp Web on PC or the WhatsApp mobile app.
For WhatsApp Web on PC, simply click the three-dot menu button at the top left corner and then click Log out.
For WhatsApp mobile app, tap three-dot menu > WhatsApp Web > Logout from all devices.
2. Can you (video/voice) on WhatsApp Web?
No, you can neither make nor receive a video or voice call on WhatsApp Web. In fact, you won’t even get a notification on WhatsApp Web that you have a WhatsApp video or voice call. But if you do receive a voice/video call while you are active on WhatsApp Web, your WhatsApp on your mobile phone would ring out as normal and you can receive it on your phone.
4. How can you tell if someone is using WhatsApp Web?
There is no way to tell if someone at the other end of a conversation is using WhatsApp Web. There are no indicators whatsoever. The conversation is just as normal as when using the WhatsApp mobile app.
5. How do I know my WhatsApp Web is active?
To know if your WhatsApp Web is active, open WhatsApp on your mobile phone, tap the three-dot menu > WhatsApp Web. There you would see a list of all open and logged in WhatsApp Web sessions. Tab Log out from all devices if you didn’t set up WhatsApp Web because that’s a clear sign someone has hacked you and has been reading your WhatsApp conversations.
Another way to know that your WhatsApp Web is active is that you may see a “WhatsApp Web is currently active” warning on your phone’s notification panel. This notification is sometimes not very obvious so pls take note.
6. Why is my WhatsApp Web not working?
There is only one reason why your WhatsApp Web may not be working and that’s because your WhatsApp mobile app doesn’t have an internet connection or your mobile phone is switched off.
7. Can someone hack me using WhatsApp Web?
Yes! If you leave your mobile phone unattended with someone who has intentions of snooping on your WhatsApp conversations this can happen. And unless you know something like this is possible you may not find out until it’s too late.
There you have it! Setting up and using WhatsApp Web on your computer is a piece of cake.